Monday, October 22, 2012

Balancing Act

Balance. Aesthetics. Beauty. I think it's a big part of what we want from life. Laughter, enjoyment, purpose... they're all beautiful.


My struggle? I have no time for balance. How do you balance "too much" with "things I really like doing?" It's especially difficult because I can't go back on anything I've committed. Take back my child? No, thanks. Give back my yarn store? Sure, sometimes. But then there's no yarn store. And that's a bit like giving my child back. Boo.

I've lived these crazy days for months now. Tuesday mornings I grab everything and head out the door. That includes baby, yarn bag, other people's things I've fixed over the weekend, lunches, diaper bag, clean blankets, and sometimes, I wear a coat. If I remember.

Most of the time, there's inventory waiting for me at the store. I get to that after I take care of Miles, who sometimes has to wait for food until there is an ebb in customers. Or, I just hand him to people I know and we make do. By the time we get home at 8:30pm, we're all tired. But Miles is the only one who gets to go to bed. If I don't have anything else to do (HA!), sometimes I get to knit or crochet.

Finished repaired tablecloth from earlier post
pattern figured out! only 40 hours to write and try
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Ah, finally Sunday, and we're closed, right? Oh, wait, I should work on that piece for that person I promised. This should only take a few hours.... (40 hours on the project and only two days later) Wait, where did my weekend go? I was going to clean, go see friends, get some extra rest...?

Oh, well. At least I finished creating the pattern, tested it, and now I can give it back! All for $20.

Date nights? Bahahaaaaaa. You're making me laugh. Friends? I see them sometimes at church and we wave.

So, the big question. Was it worth it?

Yes. Only God knows why. And I supposed only He knows how, too. Would I recommend doing something like this to the young and expecting mothers out there? Are you kidding me? No way. This is crazy. I am going crazy. Who would do something this crazy?


Ah, and that sweater knit-along we started. I should work on that...


Maybe we can all thank God I had no idea what I was getting into. For sure, there would be no yarn store in Bettendorf. Crazy.

To keep up with us, check out www.facebook.com/knitandknot or our website at www.knitandknotyarn.com

 

1 comment:

  1. Joy, you are the best. Someday you will look back and say, I don't know how I did all that, but you did and you are doing it, and surviving. What makes us take on so much? Only God knows, but He made us exactly perfect in His eyes, for His will. And we keep on doing what we do, because, despite all the laughter and tears, energy and tiredness, we love it!
    Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete